Below we offer a selection of handmade pewter Pilgrim Badges to personalize your rosary or paternoster. Each one of our rosary accessories has a chain, lobster clasp, pin or some other means of attachment so that it can easily be placed any where on your prayer beads. Let your unique spirit shine though your selections!
Pilgrim Badges - During the Middle Ages when pilgrimages to holy shrines were the vogue, the wearing of pilgrim's badges was widespread. The badges were sold as souvenirs and brought back as inexpensive popular gifts to those left at home. They were worn proudly (and boastfully) by those who had been on a pilgrimage (and even those who had not, but pretended to go!). They were also bought from peddlers as good luck charms. Wear one pinned to your rosary tassel or attached by a chain. Great for hat embellishment as well! (See last picture)
1. Head of Thomas Becket - This spectacular pilgrim sign, with its extremely deep relief in the face, is a copy of a common type of badge from the shrine of England's favorite saint, martyred in 1170. His shrine was the greatest of England's pilgrimage sites until the end of the 15th century.
P-20 Head of Thomas Becket $18.00 - Measures 3 x 1-5/8" or 75 x 43mm - Pin/Brooch
2. Head of John the Baptist - This pilgrim's sign is a copy of one from Amiens, where the saint's relics can still be seen today. This sign is meant to be sewn on but we will attach a chain for you!
P-5 Head of John the Baptist $10.00 - 1-1/4 x 1-1/4" or 32 x 32mm Pendant
3. Scallop Shell - Because Santiago a Compostello was the quintessential pilgrimage destination of the early Middle Ages, its souvenir - a scallop shell - became symbolic of pilgrimage in general. The original of this little shell, probably actually was from Santiago, the pilgrim badges from which are found all over Europe.
P-21 Scallop Shell $6.00 - Very Small! - 3/4 x 5/8" or 20 x 17mm - Pin/Brooch
4. St. Michael. A copy of a 15th C. sign from Mont St. Michel, the island stronghold that still serves as a shrine to the archangel who "loves high places."
P-22 St. Michael $10.00 - 1-1/8 x 5/8" or 28 x 20mm - Pin/Brooch
5. St. Christopher - The patron of travelers, is copied from a mid-15th century Netherlandish example.
A must-have for any one going on a pilgrimage.
P-18 St. Christopher $12.00 - 1-5/8 x 7/8" or 49 x 23mm - Pin/Brooch
6. St. Barbara is the patron saint of gunners, and she protects her supplicants against lightning. For that reason, in this adaptation of a late 15th-century copper alloy pendant, we have supplied the loop at the bottom of the saint's pedestal with a piece of coral believed to be used for protection against lightning.
P-19 St Barbara w/coral $18 - 2 1/2"x3/4" or 64x20mm - Pendant
7. Among the cutest love tokens we sell is this AMOURS brooch. It is a copy of a Netherlandish original from around the turn of the 15th century (1375-1425).
P-44 Amours $5.00 - 1" diameter or 25mm - Pin/Brooch
8. The Crowned M is an equivocal brooch - the letter M may refer to the Blessed Virgin, or it may stand for Minne - courtly love. The crown, of course, is appropriate for either. A copy of an original from around the turn of the 15th century (1375-1425).
P-46 Crowned M $5.00 - 1"x3/4" or 25x21mm - Pin/Brooch
Pewter Add-ons only! Some pictures show examples used on rosaries or hats. Rosaries and hats not included!
Clearance - Limited Supply - Many only have one left so if you are buying more than one of a kind, please convo us first for availability.
We ship via USPS Priority Mail - Insured in a Small Flat Rate Package for $8. If you are buying multiple items, let us know and we will put as much as possible in one box for the same price. Offer limited to $100 total value of package.
HISTORY: Before rosaries were standardized in the late 16th century, they were a reflection of the individual who carried them. Often saint's metals, crosses, bells, shells, relics, holy water vials, pomanders, pilgrim badges and other items of spiritual significance were incorporated into the rosary. Extant rosaries and paternosters in museums show numerous items hanging from the bottom and/or a metal or object at each paternoster in a rosary.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 3 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 7 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.